27 Jun

Last quarter I continued the study of drone simulations and focused on Crazyflie 2.0. By reading Crazyflie’s Technical Report: Design of a Trajectory Tracking Controller for a Nanoquadcopter [1] and looking into Crazyflie’s source codes[2], I had better understanding of the control algorithms used b...

26 Jun

When I first joined this research group I started working with the RoCo team helping them with documentation and improving file formatting. I then started working on a side project: a paper bot powered by a phone that could be designed using RoCo. At the beginning I mainly focused on how to allow co...

24 Jun

Recap: After attending to several weekly group meetings, I officially joined UCLA Lemur at the beginning of Spring 2017. I decide to work on the underactuated flying robot swarm project. The main objective of the project is to create to a swarm of underactuated robots that are able to cooperate. Th...

24 Jun

Over the course of the spring quarter, I have been working on the transition from understanding the theory behind super coiled polymer actuators to developing the actual manufacturing process for these actuators. This experience has invoked in me a greater appreciation not only for the overall “rese...

23 Jun

Summary of my past research progress During my time at UCLA as an exchange student, I got to join LEMUR and worked as an undergraduate researcher for the Winter and Spring quarter. I was responsible for high and low level testing of the robot compiler (RoCo). I completed the test code for the Pa...

23 Jun

Over this past quarter, I have been working on refactoring and improving the RoCo API, and merging the mechanical, electrical, and code interfaces in an organic manner that lets the users work on different parts of the robot concurrently. Working on RoCo Over the first two quarters of the past...

22 Jun

At the end of last year I had a constraint solving solution that did not scale well with complexity. It quickly became obvious that it would not suffice. Therefore, I began this year by tackling that problem once more. After trying a few more methods, we decided that the best solution would be to si...

21 Jun

Research into the use of MEMS actuators with malleable robots has moved along at a steady pace this quarter. Initial investigations started with an in depth look at straight line linkage systems that could be incorporated into the design.The straight line constraint is important due to the fact that...

21 Jun

For the past two quarters, the Robot Compiler (roco) team has been working on improving the roco codebase, cleaning up and documenting the code. As mentioned in my previous blog post, we set out with the goal of creating a codebase that was more easily understandable, extensible, and usable. Now, as...

19 Jun

In this quarter, we finished this project aiming to provide a localization algorithm for multi robot system. First of all, we proposed a new algorithm that separates communication as an independent mechanism. By doing so, the algorithm is more robust to communication imperfection. In addition, in...