28 Jun

Robot made of paper and supercoiled polymer actuators (SCP). Get the robot to move somehow (walking, rolling, etc.). Use a motor control or phone to control the robot. Program the arms to move to positions 1,2,3 and be able to grab onto different objects (e.g. metal can, glass bottle, paper ball). Read more articles & journals, searching for key words I want to focus on. Delve more into taking weight into consideration & how heavy a load the paper robot can withstand. Investigate ways of folding the paper & what shapes would give it the most strength, durability, & efficiency. Technology for a robot or other such device to recognize trash, recyclebles, & compost does not yet exist, but we can build & design & research for that idea.

27 Jun

Last quarter I continued the study of drone simulations and focused on Crazyflie 2.0. By reading Crazyflie’s Technical Report: Design of a Trajectory Tracking Controller for a Nanoquadcopter [1] and looking into Crazyflie’s source codes[2], I had better understanding of the control algorithms us...

26 Jun

When I first joined this research group I started working with the RoCo team helping them with documentation and improving file formatting. I then started working on a side project: a paper bot powered by a phone that could be designed using RoCo. At the beginning I mainly focused on how to allow co...

24 Jun

Recap: After attending to several weekly group meetings, I officially joined UCLA Lemur at the beginning of Spring 2017. I decide to work on the underactuated flying robot swarm project. The main objective of the project is to create to a swarm of underactuated robots that are able to cooperate. Th...

24 Jun

Over the course of the spring quarter, I have been working on the transition from understanding the theory behind super coiled polymer actuators to developing the actual manufacturing process for these actuators. This experience has invoked in me a greater appreciation not only for the overall “re...

23 Jun

Summary of my past research progressDuring my time at UCLA as an exchange student, I got to join LEMUR and worked as an undergraduate researcher for the Winter and Spring quarter.I was responsible for high and low level testing of the robot compiler (RoCo). I completed the test code for the Pa...

23 Jun

Over this past quarter, I have been working on refactoring and improving the RoCo API, and merging the mechanical, electrical, and code interfaces in an organic manner that lets the users work on different parts of the robot concurrently. Working on RoCoOver the first two quarters of the past...

22 Jun

At the end of last year I had a constraint solving solution that did not scale well with complexity. It quickly became obvious that it would not suffice. Therefore, I began this year by tackling that problem once more. After trying a few more methods, we decided that the best solution would be to si...

21 Jun

Research into the use of MEMS actuators with malleable robots has moved along at a steady pace this quarter. Initial investigations started with an in depth look at straight line linkage systems that could be incorporated into the design.The straight line constraint is important due to the fact that...

21 Jun

For the past two quarters, the Robot Compiler (roco) team has been working on improving the roco codebase, cleaning up and documenting the code. As mentioned in my previous blog post, we set out with the goal of creating a codebase that was more easily understandable, extensible, and usable. Now, as...