05 Aug

This week I was able to make a square cell using wood and foam. On my previous blog posts I had been working with acrylic paper, which has some relative movement vertically and horizontally. My goal was to limit the degrees of freedom of the auxetic structure to be only horizontal at the hinges. I'm...

31 Jul

This week I focused on fine tuning my RoCo component designs to fit with the electronics and assemble my first fully functional cut and fold robot. I wanted to make sure that my method for production would be feasible before I continued designing more components for robots with more functionalities....

29 Jul

With the goal of designing and creating my own elastic geodesic grids, I prepared some 3D surfaces in Rhino that I wish to approximate with a grid structure. I first started with making a dome shape. It is simple and basic, but helped teach me how to make some other designs. For example, I d...

29 Jul

My last few blog posts have been about bringing up example boards designed in our HDL, especially ones incorporating the new features of port arrays and multipack devices. Some of them were more toy examples and intended as proofs-of-concepts (like the LED matrix), while others were more practical...

25 Jul

This week I spent a lot of time familiarizing myself with making cutouts in RoCo which was quite difficult compared to creating the components by connecting faces, edges, and tabs. Creating cutouts and knowing how to position them in RoCo is particularly important and relevant to my project because...

24 Jul

This week I worked on debugging some of the movement issues from the previous week. I also worked on the grabbing aspects of objects as I wanted to remove the physics of objects and allow these objects to interact with each other. I demonstrated the object's grabbable aspect by placing an object tha...

22 Jul

This week, I worked on the fabrication of an elastic geodesic grid. I started with these plans in a PDF format. Then I had to convert the PDF file into a readable DXF file to open it in Inkscape. I resized the the plans to fit a 12" x 24" space and adjusted each pin hole/slot to be able to fi...

18 Jul

This week I created movement functionality from scratch, although was not able to test this fully. I had also used Unreal's grabbable object meshes to help test the controller (although this was not fully tested either). What I was able to test was the object physics of the grabbable object with...

16 Jul

This past week, I focused on designing more modular components to add to Roco as well as programming motors using the Arduino microcontroller to familiarize and simulate different types of motion. I was able to understand Roco much better through the process of designing these new components; specif...

15 Jul

This past week I used Rhino 7 to create .dxf files that can be used with the laser cutter and paper cutter (the CAMEOS). Designs were made within in the Rhino software and were manufactured using Vinyl Polyester as the material. (The plastic roll of material in the lab). Before making a structure...