This experiment demonstrates that by using ESP Now protocol we have the capability to control multiple blimps from a single joystick controller. We can switch between different control modes at the click of a button. In the following video -
- 1 ESP32 microcontroller is connected to the motors.
- 1 NodeMCU is connected to the laptop with its serial output on the right side of the screen (white)
- The right screen shows the input value of the controller
- The R1 button is used to switch control
There are 3 control modes in my current implementation -
- Control the ESP32 microcontroller
- Control the NodeMCU
- Control both the microcontrollers simultaneously
Implementation Details -
The program is state based. Packets are sent to the microcontroller only if the state is changed
I also tried to create interference in the communication by setting the microcontroller next to a microwave. I was not able to deduce any significant impact on the connection. I find this behavior strange. I will try to look into it.
Limitations of the System -
- If multiple instructions are sent to the controller ( eg. moving the joystick quickly in all the directions), the packets stay in the buffer creating a delay in the communication
- I need to implement a method to change the PWM duty cycle.