26 Aug

My initial test of the different blimp envelope shapes resulted in the other balloons that I had bought not having a large enough volume of helium to support the weight of the flapping technology that is needed to enable them to traverse space. This was also true in the case that all 3 small balloon...

26 Aug

Recently, I have been working on testing the power consumption of motors. For this part of the experiment, I tested the HobbyPower 8520 Motors while paired with AAA batteries. This is working towards the future goal of understanding the maximum, minimum, and average flight times of given blimp syste...

26 Aug

Background Sub-system: The mapping between hand gesture and object geometry belongs to the sub-system "Human-computer interface". Objective of the sub-system: use intuitive gestures to design (without having to specify which parameter or geometry to change) Challenge: the system hav...

25 Aug

During the past week, I have been doing background study on plate theory. The short term goal is to be able to determine plate behavior when applied loads. The long term goal is to be able to determine behavior of arbitrary foldable structures (which are assembled with plates), with different bounda...

24 Aug

Today I tested the lift force generated by two small propellers. In order to use a kitchen scale to measre the lift, i use a piece of plastic wrap to block the air flow to the scale, which may not be really accurate for the measure. The result is:

24 Aug

I built a prototype version that attached motor propellers on to the clownfish balloon. This experiment is gain more intuition on making the gondola, and testing the speed of clownfish balloon that uses propellers. The experiment set up: Environment Temperature: 21°c Testing space: Length 138...

24 Aug

I tested the wireless control of the motors. As long as the raspberry pi zero w is under the same wifi network as of my computer, we can wirelessly control the motors. Your browser does not support the video tag. The gondola is also a simple version using pla to print. The weight of it is 8g.

20 Aug

So far, I have been able to create functional printable robots. However, the printable robots are still tethered to off-board power, which limits their potential. Recently, I am working on designing autonomous robots by integrating printed battery into our printable manufacturing paradigm. For the n...

19 Aug

At first, I started with the okvis project to build my own BOEM SLAM. After spending several weeks understanding what is going on in that well-established project, I realized that there is not way to develop and to test on that project. What I need is to build a project with smaller scale that I can...

19 Aug

Project High-Level View I propose the following as the high level view for designing foldable robots. ICRA Project Goal For the next two months, I will be focusing on designing structural elements, which is a major component in foldable robotic systems. I will build analysis design toolbox t...